I am very lucky to have a dad who has taught me how to work (very hard work at times) I didn't like it very much growing up; but thinking about it now has made me appreciate how glad I am that I was able to live on a dairy farm and learn how to work...did I say work! I was always the one to get outside and get my chores done because that would mean I would get to go into town with my mom...but sometimes there was just alot of things to do especially in the summertime...my dad grew a garden that would put some of these gardens here in CA to shame. We had this huge garden filled with raspberries, strawberries, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, and we even tried peanuts one year...that was way cool to see them grow in the ground. We had some of the side fields planted with sweet corn, cantelopes, watermelon & honeydew melon...I remember having to weed the garden, not my favorite part. When the watermelon was ripe, my dad would pick one and cut it open and cute the middle out (no seeds) and give it to my mom, we on the other hand had to pick the seeds out. It was so good. I never did like tomatoes growing up, and now I could kick myself for not enjoying them, for some reason I really like tomatoes and think how delicous home grown ones taste...yum!!
We also had the responsibility of mowing our lawns...these lawns were big...I mowed the front one , my sister did the back lawn..my dad liked us to mow it in the same direction not up and down and sideways...for some reason he like to see the lawn all freshly mowed all going in the same direction...it did look nice, except for when he fertilized it...we then had to mow it twice a week. If my dad could see my yard now, and thank goodness he won't be seeing it, it would drive him nuts...as it does me...unfortunately I cannot get out into the yard too much anymore with my bad allergies. Sterling did not grow up having to do yard work, so it really bothers me when it looks like a jungle...we are working on it slowly...
My dad has always been the one to serve others..to help out others. He was always thinking of others especially when he planted his garden. He was a very hard worker...it has been hard for him not to be able to do the things he once could do because of his health...his dad was the same way...he learned how to do all of this from his dad.
I love you dad even though we cannot be together very often. Happy Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment